PJM Fundamentals & Operations
October 8, 2020 | Online :: Eastern Time
If this event is of interest you may also be interested in this related event
PJM Market Dynamics: What The Heck Is Going On?, October 9, 2020
This course will explain the fundamentals of PJM — market mechanics, operations and price formation dynamics. It will examine how key trends like renewables and shale gas penetration have shifted economic paradigms. And it will consider the impacts of emerging trends like intelligent grids and energy storage on PJM market performance.
PJM Interconnection is one of the world’s largest energy markets with operations in all or part of 13 states plus the District of Columbia. The regional transmission organization includes more than 1,000 member companies serving 65 million customers through the operation of approximately 85,000 miles of transmission lines and 1,400 individual generators, all of which are managed and optimized on a minute-by-minute basis 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Explain the mechanics of PJM system dispatch, RTO operation, and price formation
- Compare market fundamentals in PJM to other U.S. RTOs
- Explore and anticipate the impacts of emerging trends like intelligent grids and energy storage on PJM market performance
- Apply information learned into actionable intelligence that will support effective decision-making that yields competitive advantage
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 0.7 CEUs for this event.
This program will use PowerPoint Presentations and group discussions.
Requirements For A Successful Completion Of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
Thursday, October 8, 2020 : Eastern Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. :: Log-in
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. :: Overview and Introductions
9:15 am – 5:15 p.m. :: Program Content
Market Survey and Organizational Drivers
- Cause for formation
- The “big bang”
- PA, NJ, MD, and expanded coverage area
- Internal organizational/operational structure
- Relationship w/ FERC, other ISO’s/RTO’s, and other parties
- Pre/Post ’03 Northeast blackout — reliability focus and operational changes
- Ex-market supply actions and other externalities
- Takeaways — definition and understanding of key nomenclature used (LMP, CP, etc)
PJM Market Functionality
- Market services
- (DAM, RTM, ancillaries, capacity, FTR etc.)
- Explain in detail the working relationship w/ generators and transmission operators
- Regulated vs. non-regulated
- Participation by vertically integrated utilities
- Explain how PJM monitors and controls power flows to and from the grid
- Spot, day ahead, contracts, tariffs, etc.
- Briefly explain the influence of technology and system modernization over time
- Introduction of capacity performance market and the shift from energy market + ancillary services
- Bidder behavior and market monitoring
- Capacity, energy, ancillaries
12:30 – 1:15 p.m. :: Break for Lunch
Rapid Evolution of Market Fundamentals
- Making sense of two major paradigm shifts
- The shale gas revolution
- Renewables penetration
- New market entry and the role of renewables state sponsorship
- Effects on pricing and system reliability
- Potential market distortions
- Fast start pricing
- Shortage pricing
- State and other subsidies
- Minimum Offer Price Rule (MOPR)
- Understanding new build and retirement economics
- Participation by infrastructure investors
- Identification of new opportunities
- Rapid turnover of existing assets
High Level RTO Comparison
- Focus on market fundamentals rather than mechanics
5:15 p.m. :: Program Adjournment
Matthew DeCourcey, Managing Director – Power and Utilities Practice, FTI Consulting
Matthew DeCourcey is a Managing Director in the Power and Utilities practice at FTI Consulting and is based in Boston. Over the past 15 years he has provided strategic advisory services to clients operating across the energy supply chain and has advised clients regarding regulatory strategy, litigation and arbitration, transactions and business strategy. His practice focuses on assisting clients in their decisions regarding capital deployment and strategies in the face of economic and regulatory uncertainty in the markets in which they operate. Prior to joining FTI Consulting in 2018, Mr. DeCourcey was a Principal at Concentric Energy Advisors, where he led engagements related to corporate strategy, market analysis and regulatory advisory on behalf of pipelines, generators and utilities. He holds an MBA with a concentration in Finance from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and a BS in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts at Boston.
Dr. Todd Bohan, Director – Regulated Industries, FTI Consulting
Todd Bohan is a Director in FTI Consulting’s Power & Utilities group specializing in electric rate setting, regulatory advisory and energy procurement. Over the past 20 years, he has worked on a broad spectrum of energy and policy matters including utility rate cases, transmission and delivery service cost recovery, cost-of-gas adjustment, service quality and performance-based ratemaking, cost of capital, energy efficiency and competitive electric and natural gas supply. Dr. Bohan has managed the energy procurement for electric default service and long-term renewable energy contracting for a multi-state utility. He has testified in a variety of regulatory proceedings and has a unique perspective having worked for regulated utilities, a state regulatory agency and a competitive energy supplier. In addition to his industry work, he has taught economics courses at the university level for the last 30 years. Dr. Bohan earned a B.A. in Financial Economics from St. Anselm College, a M.A. in Economics from Clark University and a Ph.D. in Economics from Clark University.
Our courses are designed to be the best possible use of your valuable time – get the information you need to improve your position in the market in an interactive, dynamic format.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all registrants for three business days after the event
|PJM Fundamentals & Operations - (single connection)||US $ 795.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 3,180.00|
|Pack of 10 Connections||US $ 5,565.00|
|Pack of 20 Connections||US $ 9,540.00|
|Call us at 303.770.8800 if you have any specific questions on the volume discounts|
|* all other discounts do not apply to license packs|
This event has the following related events:
|PJM Market Dynamics: What The Heck Is Going On?||US $ 395.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 1,775.00|
Take advantage of these discounts!
- Attend the Course and PJM Market Dynamics: What The Heck Is Going On? and pay US $ 1,095.00 per attendee (save US $ 95.00 each)
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before September 04, 2020 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800