Underground Transmission Fundamentals
April 9-10, 2024 | Online :: Central Time
“The course was very applicable and started with the very basics so even if you had no experience, you could follow the presenters.” NYPA Attendee
“Course was very detailed on the aspects of the underground transmission planning, design, and construction; highly recommend to anyone who would take part in one of those areas of a project.” Project Engineer I, NYPA
“Excellent course from individuals who not only teach but practice in the field.” Senior Project Engineer, NYPA
Underground transmission is a costly and complicated option for transmission projects but sometimes necessary. This course will provide an overview of underground transmission technology, construction, and installation and is the ideal course for project managers, non-engineers and engineers alike, regulatory staff, and vendors and contractors, who are new to underground transmission projects.
Through a mix of lecture and interactive discussions, participants will come away with a deeper understanding of the makeup of underground transmission lines.
Discounted rates available for groups of five or more so register your entire team today!
- Review underground transmission technology and systems
- Examine the basics of underground design and construction
- Delve into the details of cable design and manufacturing
- Review the considerations that affect cable system ampacity
- Discuss the design, operation and maintenance of solid dielectric cable systems
- Discuss the design, operation and maintenance of high-pressure fluid-filled cable systems
Tuesday, April 9, 2024 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
Log In and Welcome
12:00 – 12:45 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Underground Transmission Technology Overview
- Available Technology
Basics of Underground Design
- Preliminary Design Considerations
- Route Selection
- Design Considerations
- Installation Considerations
Cable Design & Manufacturing
- Conductor Materials & Design
- Insulation Materials, Thicknesses and Electrical Stress
- Shielding Materials and & Design
- Jacket Materials
Cable System Ampacity
- Problem Statement
- Thermal Circuit Model
- Temperature Limitations (Conductor, Soil)
- Grounding & Bonding Considerations
- Emergency Calculations
Wednesday, April 10, 2024 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Review of Day One Materials and Questions
Solid Dielectric Cable Systems in Underground Transmission
- Trench Design
- Manhole & Structure Designs
- Other Design Considerations
- Operation and Maintenance
High Pressure Fluid Filled Cable Systems in Underground Transmission
- Trench Design
- Cathodic Protection
- Manhole & Structure Design
- Hydraulic System
- Operation & Maintenance
Dennis Johnson, Senior Project Engineer, POWER Engineers
Dennis Johnson has more than 30 years of experience in the design and construction of underground transmission and distribution systems. He has served as a design and project engineer on numerous underground transmission projects at voltages ranging from 69 kV to 500 kV. Mr. Johnson is an active voting member of the IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee (ICC). He is a member of various ICC subcommittees that are developing guides and standards for high voltage underground cable systems.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- Microsoft recommends downloading and installing the Teams app if possible. You may also use the Edge browser or Chrome.
- You will receive a separate email with a unique link to a personalized landing page which will include links to join all sessions of this event.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all attendees for 7 days after the event
REGISTER NOW FOR THIS EVENT:
Underground Transmission Fundamentals
April 9-10, 2024 | Online
|Individual attendee(s) - $ 1195.00 each
Volume pricing also available
Individual attendee tickets can be mixed with ticket packs for complete flexibility
|Pack of 5 attendees - $ 4,780.00 (20% discount)
|Pack of 10 attendees - $ 8,365.00 (30% discount)
|Pack of 20 attendees - $ 14,340.00 (40% discount)
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before March 08, 2024 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800
EUCI is accredited by the International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. IACET is recognized internationally as a standard development organization and accrediting body that promotes quality of continuing education and training.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/log in and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
Case studies, PowerPoint presentations, and group discussion will be used in this event.
Upon successful completion of this event, program participants interested in receiving CPE credits will receive a certificate of completion.
Course CPE Credits: 12.0
There is no prerequisite for this Course.
Program field of study: Specialized Knowledge
Program Level: Basic
Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
Advanced Preparation: None
EUCI is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org
Who Should Attend
- Transmission Engineers
- Transmission Project Managers
- Engineer in Training (EIT)
- Transmission Siting Professionals
- Transmission Right of Way Professionals
- Transmission Communications Professionals
- Utility business development professionals
- Regulatory staff