Interested in bringing a course to your location? Do you have 10 or more people needing training?
We would love to help! Call us at 303-770-8800 or email [email protected] to discuss special pricing and information.
The aging utility workforce is old news. We blew past that in 2012. In an industry transitioning from 8% annual turnover to 30+% attrition, GO/GOPs, IPPs, TO/TOPs, Distribution Providers, Construction and Services companies are awakening to the challenge of attracting and retaining a new generation of electrical and IT engineers, operations specialists, field techs, traders, line workers, customer service and compliance professionals. Today, 72% of electric companies report difficulty finding the skills they need. Many are losing promising hires to competitors who can pay more or offer rapid career advancement in this escalating war for talent. But that’s not the worst news.
As we enter 2018, 80 Million Millennials are on-deck, ready to become 50% of the US workforce in 24 months – 75% of the workforce by 2025. The worst news is, for Millennials making career choices, the electric industry isn’t cool – and they ain’t coming. No, no, this isn’t a debate. They’re not coming – not in the numbers needed to keep the power industry viably staffed. Oh, and they’re not staying, averaging 3X the turnover rate across all industries.
This hands-on, numbers-driven, how-to, walk-out-with-a-plan course will give you the tools, techniques, tips and tricks you need for attracting, engaging and retaining Millennials at your utility company. You will leave a thought leader, influencer, and go-to source for guiding your company through Millennial issues and decisions.
- Quantify the current state of your workforce, where you need to be in 24-36 months, what’s missing, and what’s needed to create the workforce of the future
- Identify who millennials are, talents they offer, how they communicate, what they expect, how they perceive the utility industry, and what drives their high attrition rate
- Review and master the “5 Forces model,” which puts the impact of the coming Millennial Tsunami into perspective, and shows how to position your company for competitive advantage
- Translate your company Gap Analysis into real dollars, calculating what Millennial hiring, engagement and attrition may cost
- Apply “7 Steps to Attract Millennials” to ramp up your cool factor and become a Millennial-oriented brand
- Re-examine your Employer Value Proposition to turn geographical & cultural challenges into advantages, and how to tell your story through Millennial channels
- Attract the millennial workforce by creating an Employee Experience Culture and image, and reap significant financial rewards
- Jumpstart 2018 with key course takeaways including Employee Engagement tools, Enterprise Videos, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Mobility Platforms, Total Rewards and more!
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 0.9 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
PowerPoint presentations, case studies, and group & individual exercises will be used in this course.
Thursday, December 7, 2017
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. :: Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 8:45 a.m. :: Welcome and Introductions of Instructor and Attendees
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. :: Course Learning Objectives & Outcomes
9:00 – 10:15 a.m. :: Workplace Gap Analysis
- Quantifying the current state of your workplace from your perspective (you are an expert in your area), what you know are future needs and what may be missing
- Identifying internal resources to leverage and areas of challenge to be solved for
10:15 – 10:45 a.m. :: Networking Break
10:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: The Millennial Employee
- Demystifying the Millennial employee – who they are, what they want, what they expect, talents they offer, and how they communicate
- Gaining insight into where Millennial loyalties lie and how the utility industry will need to flex (can we say Snapchat?)
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. :: Group Luncheon
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. :: The Coming Millennial Tsunami / 7 Forces Analysis
- Knowledge is Power: examining where, when and how the Millennial Tsunami will control the new work environment
- Using the 5 Forces Model to reveal the shifting workforce landscape, how Gen X can’t fill all the managerial needs left by retirees, and what is imperative in planning for the millennial workforce
2:00 – 3:00 p.m. :: Translating your Workforce Gap Analysis into Real Dollars
- Calculating what Millennial hiring, engagement and attrition will cost
- Factoring in the cost of retaining Gen X managers from being recruited away by competitors frantic for seasoned talent
3:00 – 3:30 p.m. :: Networking Break
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. :: Becoming Cool – 7 Steps to Attract Millennials
- Focusing on the most important aspect of attracting and retaining Millennials – becoming a Millennial-oriented brand
- Develop a how-to-move-forward guide that can be used to hire full-time and part-time employees, contractors, and even interns
Friday, December 8, 2017
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Insights, Reactions & Questions from Day One
9:00 – 10:30 a.m. :: The Employee Experience Culture
- Shifting the utility mindset: recognizing the need to invest in areas that are not intrinsically asset-based and rate case recoverable
- Examining the emerging “Employee Experience” workplace, how Millennials expect an engaged and empowered culture, and the 40% ROI that is possible for early adopters
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. :: Morning Break
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. :: Jumpstarting 2108: Tools, Tips, Tricks & Takeaways
- Introducing the key resources you can use back at the office to create a Millennial-friendly workplace
- Effectively applying Employee Engagement strategic tools, Enterprise Videos, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Mobility Platforms, Total Rewards and more!
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: Course Assessment, Learning Outcome Review and Q&A Session
Janet Kieffer, Founder & CEO, Influence
Janet Kieffer has a passion for the electric industry – a result of over 25 years of consulting experience with IOUs, Munis and Coops, IPPs and Service Providers – that includes retail market entry, AMR, distribution communication technologies, NERC compliance, asset management and compliance software adoption and co-authoring IEEE patents. She has trained meter readers to be successful sales people, brought a distribution system sensor technology to market, defined and developed billion-dollar business plans for Fortune 50 companies, and navigated dinner with group of 12 Coops engineers who discussed the merits of John Deere tractors for a full 3 hours.
Fluent with rate cases, CIS systems, NERC CIP, PRC-005, voltage / current phase angles, protective relays, ISOs and how to communicate with electrical engineers, Janet is the author of more than 35 industry articles for publications such as Electric Light & Power, Transmission & Distribution, NRECA, PowerGen, and Public Utilities Fortnightly, and is a featured speaker at utility industry events. She holds a Masters in Marketing with a specialization in Growth Strategy from the University of California, Berkeley.
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina
1441 Quivira Rd
San Diego, CA 92109
To reserve your room, please call 1-619-224-1234
Please indicate that you are with the EUCI group to receive the group rate.
The room rate is $159.00 single or double plus $10 resort fee and applicable taxes.
Room Block Dates:
A room block has been reserved for the nights of December 6 – 7, 2017.
Rate Available Until:
Make your reservations prior to December 5, 2017. There are a limited number of rooms available at the conference rate. Please make your reservations early.
Please Note: Confirmed speakers do not need to register and are encouraged to participate in all sessions of the event. If you are a speaker and have any questions please contact our offices at 1.303.770.8800
|Event||Early Bird Before |
Friday, November 17, 2017
|Winning the Millennial Talent War in Electric Utilities||US $ 1195.00||US $ 1395.00|
Register 3 Send 4th Free!
Any organization wishing to send multiple attendees to these conferences may send 1 FREE for every 3 delegates registered. Please note that all registrations must be made at the same time to qualify.
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before November 03, 2017 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800