Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
November 14-15, 2023 | Online :: Central Time
“Diego’s experience with different employers gives a great variety of perspectives.” –GIS Coordinator, Associated Electric Cooperative
“Diego was funny and engaging and informative. Great course, realistic timeframe, polite and courteous staff. Highly recommend.” –Technology Consultant, Accenture
“I thought Diego knew his stuff and presented it in an understandable way, especially for a learner like me!” –Software Developer, IQGeo
“For anyone beginning with a GIS infrastructure, I would recommend this training to gather a better basic knowledge of what you are working with daily.” –IT Manager, Twin County EPA
Geographic information systems (GIS) visualize any type of features, find patterns, analyze change, create models, tell stories, solve and predict problems, and turn raw data into actionable information and decision making. This course introduces GIS concepts and related tools used by different industries as part of their business models and workflows and shows attendees how to modify and implement other industry applications to the electric utility, specifically.
Course topics also include:
- Development and applications
- GPS and remote sensing technologies (i.e., LiDAR)
- Integration with SCADA
- Enterprise deployments
This course is ideal for any utility professionals or personnel who would like to start learning about GIS, take GIS to the next level, or get ready to implement GIS.
- Review GIS fundamentals, its applications to electric utilities, and how to deploy and implement GIS for any scale organization
- Examine new technologies and their impact on the future of the industry
- Explain data sources, integration, security, collection, and management
- Apply GIS in the five usage patterns areas: data management, planning and analysis, field mobility, operational awareness, and stakeholder engagement
- Discuss real use cases:
- United Power, XCEL Energy
- Distribution vs. transmission
- Streetlights repair and maintenance
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
Log In and Welcome
12:30 – 1:15 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Introduction and Basic Concepts
- Data types
- Data accuracy
- GIS Systems architecture and components
- Geospatial data modeling
- Survey vs. mapping
GIS Applications and Uses as a Tool
- Open GIS vs. Product GIS
- Geospatial analysis
- Programming vs. scripting
Aerial Imagery and Remote Sensing
- Definition and concepts
- Aerial imagery as a base and analysis map
- LiDAR applications
- Google Maps
Desktop vs. Web vs. Mobile and Other Platforms
- Desktop software
- 3rd party vendors
- ESRI AGOL & Portal environments
- Web app builder, dashboards, analytics, story maps
GIS in the Electric Utility Industry
- Networks and tracing
- Data integration and modeling
Data Entry, Integration, Collection, Quality, and Maintenance
- Asset management
- Fleet management
- Field inventory
- Customer care
Data Standardization, Sharing, and Security
- Data classification
- Data models
- Data and network security
Wednesday, November 15, 2023 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Enterprise Deployments and Implementations
- Staff structure
- Internal vs. consultant implementations
- Environments (production vs. testing vs. development vs. replication/disaster recovery)
- Investor-Owned Utilities vs. Co-ops vs. Municipalities
- System migrations
- User training and customer engagement
- GIS system administration
Future Trends in GIS
- Open GIS
- Utility network
- Mobile GIS
- The internet of things
- Crowd sourcing and online resources
Diego Portillo, CGIS & T Manager, City of Portland
Diego Portillo is a GIS professional with over 20 years of experience in the geospatial field related to different industries—from community development, to planning and consulting water and electric utilities. His background includes data entry to data management, project management, and implementation. His accomplishments have been recognized by several industries, including the Special Achievement in GIS at the ESRI International Conference in 2006 for his GIS Enterprise Implementation at United Power (Brighton, CO).
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- Microsoft recommends downloading and installing the Teams app if possible. You may also use the Edge browser or Chrome.
- You will receive a separate email with a unique link to a personalized landing page which will include links to join all sessions of this event.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all attendees for 7 days after the event
REGISTER NOW FOR THIS EVENT:
Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
November 14-15, 2023 | Online
|Individual attendee(s) - $ 1195.00 each|
Volume pricing also available
Individual attendee tickets can be mixed with ticket packs for complete flexibility
|Pack of 5 attendees - $ 4,780.00 (20% discount)|
|Pack of 10 attendees - $ 8,365.00 (30% discount)|
|Pack of 20 attendees - $ 14,340.00 (40% discount)|
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before October 13, 2023 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800
EUCI is accredited by the International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. IACET is recognized internationally as a standard development organization and accrediting body that promotes quality of continuing education and training.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must log in each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
PowerPoint presentations, interactive group exercise, and group discussion will be used during this course.
Upon successful completion of this event, program participants interested in receiving CPE credits will receive a certificate of completion.
Course CPE Credits: 11.5
There is no prerequisite for this Course.
Program field of study: Specialized Knowledge
Program Level: Basic
Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
Advanced Preparation: None
EUCI is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org
Who Should Attend
- Any professional in any expertise level in the industry who would like to start learning about GIS
- For experts who want to take GIS to the next level
- A professional at a utility who wants their company to implement GIS