Natural Gas Physical & Financial Markets
November 28, 2018 | Mexico City, Mexico
This course will present an overview of physical and financial natural gas markets. Attendees will review natural gas market basics, including terminology, concepts, and the mechanics of physical natural gas trading. They will discuss the role of NYMEX Natural Gas Future Contract in determining the value of physical natural gas. Our expert instructor will provide an in-depth understanding of gas indices, fixed price, and physical basis deals. He will address major trends on how sellers and purchasers price physical natural gas. Attendees will gain an understanding of where to find price information, what affects prices, and the role of the Natural Gas Index Publishers. They will leave the course with the ability to assess the importance of liquidity in physical natural gas markets and review considerations used to determine whether or not to hedge. The course will discuss the role of state regulatory agencies, and other participants in regulating natural gas markets. The course will conclude with a discussion regarding where natural gas markets are headed.
The intent is that participants will be able to apply the information learned the first day they return to their jobs. Hands-on activities will be included throughout the day.
- Discuss an overview of physical and financial natural gas markets and their key differences
- Explain the role of NYMEX Natural Gas Future Contract and the value of physical natural gas prices
- Review natural gas market basics, including terminology, concepts, and the mechanics of physical natural gas trading
- Express where physical natural gas can be bought and sold
- Discuss gas indices, fixed price, and physical basis deals
- Address major trends on how sellers and purchasers price physical natural gas
- Describe where to find price information and what affects prices
- Explain the role of the Natural Gas Index Publishers
- Assess the importance of liquidity in physical natural gas markets
- List the major players of physical natural gas markets
- Review considerations used to determine whether or not to hedge
- Describe the roles of agencies regulating natural gas markets
- Discuss where natural gas markets are headed
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 0.8 CEUs for this event.
Case studies, PowerPoint presentations and group discussion will be used in this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. :: Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. :: Group Luncheon
Natural Gas Market Basics
- Mechanics of physical natural gas trading
- Role of: Intercontinental Exchange and Natural Gas Exchange (NGX)
- Voice Brokers
- Firm and interruptible pipeline transportation nominations
- Price Volatility
Physical and Financial Natural Gas Markets
- Key differences
- Liquidity in physical markets vs. financial markets
Fundamental Technical Analysis of Gas Prices
- Forward price curves
- Where are natural gas prices headed?
- Why crude oil, NGL, aging infrastructure and environmental factors are important
Physical Natural Gas: Buying and Selling
- Where can physical natural gas be bought and sold
- Bidweek (new month gas)
- Daily gas
- Weekend gas markets
Natural Gas Pricing
- How is natural gas priced?
- Natural gas indices
- Fixed price deals
- Basis deals
- WebIce electronic platform
- Major trends on how sellers and purchasers price physical natural gas
- Gas and electric coordination
NYMEX Natural Gas Futures Contract and ICE Look-Alike Futures Contract
- What are these and how do they differ
- NYMEX Natural gas futures settlement during bid week and how this affects physical daily and monthly gas prices
TeamOne Energy, Inc.
Freeman is president of TeamOne Energy, Inc., a consultancy he founded in 2002. He is a 40-year energy industry veteran, an Advisory Board Member of the Power Marketers Association, member of the Energy Bar Association and GLG Leader (top 3%) of The Councils of Advisors in New York. His expertise is energy industry strategic development & commodity price risk mitigation. Throughout his career Dave recognized opportunities & threats posed by industry restructuring then led innovative developments to optimize situations in light of these events.
Freeman has unusually broad and extensive expertise across the entire gas and electricity value chains.
Freeman regularly manages over $3 billion per year in energy transactions. He led the key transactions associated with Merchant Power Deal of the Year projects in 2001 and 2007.
Freeman’s clients include over 150 private equity firms. These include due diligence projects for firms such as BlackRock, Goldman Sachs and KKR.
Freeman was an arbitrator for two large energy transaction disputes administered by the AAA, and an expert witness for energy cases before various county & federal courts, state commissions & legislatures and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
Mr. Freeman earned a Master of Business Administration from Friend’s University and a Bachelor of Science from Iowa State University.
Le Meridien Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 69, Tabacalera
Mexico City, CDMX, Mexico
Reserve your room:
please call +52 55 5061 3000
Room Block Reserved For:
Nights of November 27-30, 2018
Room rate through EUCI:
$159 single or double plus applicable taxes
Make your reservations prior to October 26, 2018.