Underground Transmission Fundamentals
July 21-22, 2020 | Online :: Central Time
This is an Online Course. In lieu of recent developments with COVID-19, for the health and safety of our speakers and attendees, we have decided to move many of our events to Online Courses.
If this event is of interest you may also be interested in this related event
Overview of Transmission Splicing and Maintenance of the Underground Transmission System, July 23-24, 2020 | Online
Underground transmission is a costly and complicated option for transmission projects. This course will provide an in-depth overview of underground systems, technology, construction, and installation. This is the ideal course for engineers new to underground transmission projects, regulatory staff that needs an overview to evaluate project options and vendors and contractors that support utilities as they build new transmission.
- Review underground transmission technology and systems
- Examine the basics of underground design and construction
- Delve into the details of cable design and manufacturing
- Review the considerations that affect cable system ampacity
- Discuss the design, operation and maintenance of solid dielectric cable systems
- Discuss the design, operation and maintenance of high-pressure fluid-filled cable systems
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
You must be logged in for the entire presentation and send in the evaluation after the online course is completed.
Case studies, PowerPoint presentations, and group discussion will be used in this event.
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. :: Log in
9:15 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. :: Lunch Break
Underground Transmission Technology Overview
- Available Technology
Basics of Underground Design
- Preliminary Design Considerations
- Route Selection
- Design Considerations
- Installation Considerations
Cable Design & Manufacturing
- Conductor Materials & Design
- Insulation Materials, Thicknesses and Electrical Stress
- Shielding Materials and & Design
- Jacket Materials
Cable System Ampacity
- Problem Statement
- Thermal Circuit Model
- Temperature Limitations (Conductor, Soil)
- Grounding & Bonding Considerations
- Emergency Calculations
Wednesday, July 22, 2020
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. :: Login
9:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
Review of Day One Materials and Questions
Solid Dielectric Cable Systems
- Trench Design
- Manhole & Structure Designs
- Other Design Considerations
- Operation and Maintenance
High Pressure Fluid Filled Cable Systems
- Trench Design
- Cathodic Protection
- Manhole & Structure Design
- Hydraulic System
- Operation & Maintenance
Dennis Johnson, Senior Project Engineer, POWER Engineers
Dennis Johnson has more than 30 years of experience in the design and construction of underground transmission and distribution systems. He has served as a design and project engineer on numerous underground transmission projects at voltages ranging from 69 kV to 500 kV. Mr. Johnson is an active voting member of the IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee (ICC). He is a member of various ICC subcommittees that are developing guides and standards for high voltage underground cable systems.
Todd Goyette, Senior Project Engineer, POWER Engineers
Todd Goyette joined POWER Engineers in November of 2012 and is a senior project engineer in the underground transmission group. He has over 24 years of experience in many aspects of high voltage and extra high voltage underground cable projects including design, permitting & licensing, construction and operation & maintenance. He has experience with self-contained fluid filled, high pressure fluid filled, high pressure gas filled and extruded dielectric cable systems. Prior to joining POWER, Todd worked for National Grid, a large investor-based utility, for 18 years performing similar functions. He serves on several working group committees for the IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee. He holds a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and is a registered Professional Engineer in several New England states.
Our courses are designed to be the best possible use of your valuable time – get the information you need to improve your position in the market in an interactive, dynamic format.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
|Underground Transmission Fundamentals - (single connection)||US $ 1195.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 5,375.00|
|Pack of 10 Connections||US $ 8,965.00|
|For volume discounts call +1.303.770.8800 for quote|
|* all other discounts do not apply to license packs|
This event has the following related events:
|Overview of Transmission Splicing and Maintenance of the Underground Transmission System||US $ 1295.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 5,825.00|
|Pack of 10 Connections||US $ 9,715.00|
Take advantage of these discounts!
- Attend the Course and Overview of Transmission Splicing and Maintenance of the Underground Transmission System and pay US $ 2,295.00 per attendee (save US $ 195.00 each)
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before June 19, 2020 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800