Zebra and Quagga Mussel Mitigation
July 9-10, 2020 | Online :: Central Time
Proliferation of invasive zebra and quagga mussels pose a host of challenges such as damaging or clogging industrial infrastructure, adversely impacting native fish and mussel populations, decreasing property value, and discouraging recreation. Whether you are a utility or a park and recreation department, invasive mussels are an expensive nuisance when populations aren’t controlled.
The Zebra and Quagga Mussel Mitigation training course will educate participants on the biology of mussels, distribution patterns, early identification and prevention techniques, the adverse impacts of invasive mussel infestations, control techniques, and touch on public communication strategies. This course will walk you through the steps of zebra and quagga mussel mitigation from monitoring and planning through control techniques and implementation.
After attending the course, participants will successfully be able to:
- Describe zebra and quagga mussel biology including reproduction, population dynamics, growth patterns, and feeding
- Define distribution patterns including vectors for population expansion
- Recognize environmental changes due to mussel invasion
- Explain the adverse impacts that mussels will have on the environment, recreation, drinking water plants, reservoirs, pipelines, and power plants
- Identify general control strategies
- Construct a zebra mussel monitoring program beginning with detection upon first arrival
- Anticipate infestation challenges and identify a control method
- Review other biofouling challenges
- Apply public outreach and communication strategies
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event.
This program will use PowerPoint presentations and discussion
Thursday, July 9, 2020 :: Central Time
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. :: Login and Welcome
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 12:30 p.m. :: Lunch Break
Biology and Mussels Overview
- Population Dynamics
- Growth Patterns
- Environmental Limits
- Distribution Patterns
- Vectors of Population Expansion
- Environmental Changes Due to Mussel Invasion
- Environmental Impacts
- Recreation Impacts
- Impacts on Drinking Water Plants, Reservoirs, and Pipelines
- Impacts on Power Plants
General Control Strategies
- Proactive V. Reactive
Chemical Strategies – Overview of Experience and Research Conducted
- Chemicals Available/Chemicals Approved
- Methods of Chemical Addition
- Environmental Concerns
- Neutralization of Chemical Discharges
Physical Methods – Overview of Experience
- UV Systems
- Bio Bullets
Friday, July 10, 2020 :: Central time
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. :: Login and Welcome
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
Other Control Methods, Used and Proposed
- Copper Ion Generators
- pH Adjustments
- Bubble Screens
- Thermal Control
- Monitoring for First Arrival
- Monitoring for Optimizing Control Strategy
- Monitoring for Success Control
- Monitoring for Population Growth
Living with an Infestation
- Firsthand Account of Problems Encountered
- Year 1
- Year 4 and Beyond
- Questions and Answers
Other Biofouling Issues
- Colonial Hydroids
Public Outreach – The Most Effective Method for Prevention
Wrap up: Questions, Comments, and Remarks
Renata Claudi, Environmental Scientist, RNT Consulting
Ms. Claudi is an environmental scientist with over 30 years of diverse business and technical experience. After more than 15 years in the electric power industry, where she established the mussel mitigation program for Ontario’s largest electricity utility, Ms. Claudi formed RNT Consulting Inc. to respond to the broader industry need for expert mussel support. As aquatic nuisance species became geographically more widespread, Ms. Claudi has provided mussel expertise internationally on the various aspects of alien species invasions, including their economic impact, protection of assets, selection of appropriate control options, and installation of these control options.
Tom Prescott, Chief Engineer, RNT Consulting
Mr. Prescott has over 30 years of engineering and project management experience on design, installation, and testing of mechanical and process systems in various areas including military, petrochemical, and electric power production industries. Mr. Prescott has particular expertise in vulnerability assessments and pilot testing of control facilities for mussel biofouling control. He has experience with many clients throughout Canada, U.S.A., and overseas and is currently a partner and senior project engineer at RNT Consulting Inc.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
|Zebra and Quagga Mussel Mitigation - (single connection)||US $ 1195.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 5,375.00|
|Pack of 10 Connections||US $ 8,965.00|
|For volume discounts call +1.303.770.8800 for quote|
|* all other discounts do not apply to license packs|
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before June 05, 2020 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800