Electric Distribution Fundamentals
June 7-8, 2022 | Online :: Central Time
Electric Distribution is unique to the Power Delivery System in that it is the portion closest to the end user. Traditionally, these lines have been radial in nature. Equipment and line construction must be compact to accommodate smaller right of ways, maintain adequate clearances and sturdy enough to withstand the weather-related forces.
This course will expose attendees to the equipment, construction practices and protection techniques associated with electric distribution systems. It is intended for those new to this field, regardless of organizational position.
- Discuss Alternating Current Systems and Power Delivery
- Overhead and Underground Distribution Systems
- Construction Practices
- Advantages & Disadvantages
- Discuss National Electric Safety Code
- Review Line Sectionalizing for Isolating Faults
- Types of Faults
- Coordinating Protective Devices
- Reliability Indicies
- Discuss Power Quality Equipment
Tuesday, June 7, 2022 : Central Time
9:00 – 9:10 a.m.
Log In and Welcome
12:00 – 12:45 p.m.
9:10 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Basics of Electricity and the Power Delivery System
- Ohm’s Law – Voltage, Current, Resistance
- Reactance – Inductive & Capacitive
- Power Triangle – Watt (W), Volt Amperes Reactive (VAR), Volt Amperes (VA)
- Power Factor
- System Losses
- Introduction to transformers
Introduction to Overhead Line Construction
- Poles, Conductor, Guy wires, Anchors, Transformers
- Three Phase Configurations – cross arm, vertical, double circuit
- NESC Part II
Introduction to Underground Distribution
- Cable, Terminations, Transformer, Sectionalizing Cabinet, Padmount Switchgear
- Underground Service (Single Phase – residential, Three Phase – commercial)
- Underground Loop – Residential
- NESC Part III
- Economic comparison Underground vs. Overhead
- Surge Arresters
Wednesday, June 8, 2022 : Central Time
9:00 – 9:10 a.m.
Log In and Welcome
9:10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
System Protection (continued)
- Overcurrent Protection Equipment
- Fuse, Recloser, Circuit Breaker
- Coordinating OCP Equipment for Line Sectionalizing
- SAIDI, SAIFI & CAIDI
Power Quality Equipment
- Voltage Regulators
- Power Capacitors
Distributed Energy Resources
- Solar – residential & commercial
- Peaking Generators
- Demand Response
Jerry Josken, Senior Consultant and Instructor, EUCI
Jerry holds a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology from the Milwaukee School of Engineering and an MBA from North Central College. During his 30+ year career with Eaton’s Cooper Power Systems, Jerry served in a variety of engineering capacities. Past leadership positions include Chair of IEEE Rural Electric Power Conference (2012) and GLEMS Distribution Equipment/Controls (2013-2014). More recently, Jerry develops and conducts professional development programs on various power delivery topics for EUCI.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: After November 30 you will not be able to join a Teams meeting using Internet Explorer 11. Microsoft recommends downloading and installing the Teams app if possible. You may also use the Edge browser or Chrome.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all registrants for three business days after the event
REGISTER NOW FOR THIS EVENT:
Electric Distribution Fundamentals
June 7-8, 2022 | Online
|Individual attendee(s) - $ 1195.00 each|
Volume pricing also available
Individual attendee tickets can be mixed with ticket packs for complete flexibility
|Pack of 5 attendees - $ 4,780.00 (20% discount)|
|Pack of 10 attendees - $ 8,365.00 (30% discount)|
|Unlimited connections - $ 20,000.00|
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before May 06, 2022 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800
EUCI is accredited by the International Accreditors for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and offers IACET CEUs for its learning events that comply with the ANSI/IACET Continuing Education and Training Standard. IACET is recognized internationally as a standard development organization and accrediting body that promotes quality of continuing education and training.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must log in each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
Case studies, PowerPoint presentations, and group discussion will be used in this event.
Upon successful completion of this event, program participants interested in receiving CPE credits will receive a certificate of completion.
Course CPE Credits: 12.0
There is no prerequisite for this Course.
Program field of study: Specialized Knowledge
Program Level: Basic
Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
Advanced Preparation: None
EUCI is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org