If this event is of interest you may also be interested in Advanced Landman, June 12 – 13 in Denver
The course will focus on encouraging best practices for landmen, as well as ways to mitigate the common challenges incurred in the landman profession. Additional pointers will be given to assist in professional conduct and the various avenues available to excel as a landman and refine basic skills. The course will include multiple workshops affording attendees the opportunity to negotiate leases creatively and preparing the lease effectively. Attendees will be equipped to thoroughly summarize and dissect leases with a firm grasp on the interrelationship of clauses. Throughout the course there will be tips on successful negotiation and avoiding pitfalls which many landmen have experienced.
Attendees to this course will be able to:
- Explain how property is acquired via patent, conveyance, inheritance and adverse possession
- Discuss land descriptions and measurements
- Examine types of real property ownership including fee simple, mineral, surface, and royalty
- Determine record title, read instruments and note limitations of conveyances
- Examine oil, gas and mineral leases and incorporate standard clauses, terms, and provisions
- Discuss commonly added special provisions to oil and gas leases
- Negotiate creatively for the purchase of a lease
- Explain the basics of the operating agreement
- Interpret when pooling and unitization are needed and not needed
- Explain the three types of title opinions: preliminary, drilling, and division order
- Calculate mineral and royalty interests
- Find and maintain clients
- Apply landman ethics and principles of professionalism
- Discuss legal issues and risks of the landman profession
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.1 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
PowerPoint presentations will be used in this program.
Monday, June 11, 2018
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. :: Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. :: Group Luncheon
Introduction to the Landman Profession
Determining Surface and Mineral Ownership
- Property Acquisition
- Adverse Possession
- Land Descriptions and Measurements
- Rectangular Survey
- Metes and Bounds
- Types of Real Property Ownership
- Fee Simple
- Accessing Records and Determining Record Title
- Optimal Preparation
- List of Potential Instruments Affecting Title
- Reading the Instruments
- Noting the Limitations of Each Conveyance
- Chaining the Title
- Finding Addresses and Phone Numbers
Oil, Gas and Mineral Leases
- Parts of the Lease
- Standard Clauses, Terms and Provisions
- The Interrelationship of Clauses
- Paid Up and Rental Leases
- “Commonly Added” Special Provisions
- Options to Extend
Negotiations for the Purchase of a Lease
- Offer, Counter-Offer and Acceptance
- Creativity in Negotiations Workshop
After the Lease is Acquired
- Preparing the Lease Packet Workshop
- Lease Analyst
- In-House Landmen
- Operating Agreement
- Farmouts and Farmins
Pooling and Unitization
- When Pooling and Unitization are Not Needed
- Voluntary Units
- Force Pooled Units
- Permitted Unit Configurations
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. :: Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
- Three Types of Title Opinions
- Preliminary Title Opinion
- Drilling Opinion
- Division Order Opinion
- What the Title Opinion Means
Calculating Mineral and Royalty Interests Workshop
- Fundamental Calculations of Working Interest and Net Revenue Interest
- Consequences of changing Working Interest and Net Revenue Interests for
Ethics and Professionalism
- Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Utilizing AAPL and Local Landman Associations
- Independent Contractor or Employee?
- Mineral Fraud
Jim McGowen, CPL, Partner, McGowen & Fowler, PLLC
Mr. McGowen has 30 years’ experience as a Landman and is former President of the American Association of Professional Landmen. Before launching McGowen and Fowler, PLLC, in 2011, he served as the Managing Partner of McGowen & Shaw, PLLC, a firm focused on oil and gas, business entities and general law practice. Prior to that, Mr. McGowen served as Vice President of Petro-Hunt Corporation and Vice President of Land for Placid Oil and Company, both Hunt family companies. His career in oil and gas began back in 1973 as a landman for Koch Industries, after spending a year as a journalism and photography teacher in Oklahoma.
Mr. McGowen is a member of the American Bar Association, graduating from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in 1998, as well as the American, Dallas, and East Texas Associations of Petroleum Landmen. Mr. McGowen serves as the Chairman of the Wind River Ministries’ Board of Directors and a member of the Board of Directors for Arkleus Broadcasting, Inc. He is also President of the McGowen Foundation.
Courtyard Denver Cherry Creek
1475 S. Colorado Blvd
Denver, CO 80222
To reserve your room, please call 1-303-757-8797
Please indicate that you are with the EUCI group to receive the group rate.
The room rate is $169.00 single or double plus applicable taxes.
Room Block Dates:
A room block has been reserved for the nights of June 10 – 13, 2018.
Rate Available Until:
Make your reservations prior to May 20, 2018. There are a limited number of rooms available at the conference rate. Please make your reservations early.
Please Note: Confirmed speakers do not need to register and are encouraged to participate in all sessions of the event. If you are a speaker and have any questions please contact our offices at 1.303.770.8800
|Event||Early Bird Before |
Friday, May 25, 2018
|Landman A-Z: Leasing, Guidelines and Best Practices||US $ 1195.00||US $ 1395.00|
This event has the following related events:
|Advanced Landman||US $ 1195.00||US $ 1395.00|
Take advantage of these discounts!
- Attend the Course and Advanced Landman and pay US $ 1,995.00 per attendee (save US $ 395.00 each)
Register 3 Send 4th Free!
Any organization wishing to send multiple attendees to these conferences may send 1 FREE for every 3 delegates registered. Please note that all registrations must be made at the same time to qualify.
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before May 11, 2018 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800