Distribution Volt/VAR Management
May 11-12, 2020 | Online :: Central Time
Power Factor Correction and Voltage Regulation are essential components for distribution system efficiency and power quality. This course introduces attendees to these concepts and moves quickly into the characteristics and application for power capacitor and voltage regulators then expands to provide information that will be helpful in specifying features and accessories for both devices. Upon completion of the course students will be capable of diagnosing distribution feeders for the proper sizing and placement of this equipment.
- Expand on VAR fundamental calculations including resistance, reactance, and impedance
- Understand the power triangle’s relationships of reactive, active and apparent power
- Detail how to calculate system loss while learning how to reduce system losses and increasing circuit capacity
- Perform a voltage profile analysis
- Explore Volt/VAR strategies
- Define characteristics & application factors for power capacitors
- Review overcurrent protection characteristics
- Discover the use and controls of switched cap banks
- Discuss the characteristics & application factors of step voltage regulators
- Review voltage regulator controls and how to bypass voltage regulators
- Discover the tools for coordinating Volt/VAR equipment
- Review special application considerations
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.2 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day, be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
Case studies, PowerPoint presentations, and group discussion will be used in this event.
Monday, May 11, 2020
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. :: CDT Course Timing
12:00 – 1:00 pm :: Break for Lunch
Volt/VAR Fundamental Calculations
- Resistance, Reactance, Impedance
- The Power Triangle
- KW, KVAR, KVA
- System Loss Calculations
- Reducing System Losses
- Increasing Circuit Capacity
- Voltage Profile Analysis
- Volt/VAR Strategy
- Characteristics & Application Factors
- Overcurrent Protection
- Switched Cap Banks
- Cap Controls
Step Voltage Regulators
- Characteristics & Application Factors
- Voltage Regulator Controls
- Bypassing Voltage Regulators
Tuesday, May 12, 2020
8:00 a.m. – 12: 00 p.m. :: CDT Course Timing
Coordinating Volt/VAR Equipment
Special Application Considerations
- Dispersed Generation
- Auto Feeder Reconfiguration
David Farmer, PE, Director of Engineering and Services, Pike Engineering
David holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from West Virginia University Institute of Technology and is a registered professional engineer in multiple states. Since 1983, Mr. Farmer has worked with electric utilities in power delivery planning, load forecasting, reliability analysis, engineering and operations, construction and design, training, and project management. David has worked for both investor owned utilities and electric cooperatives.
Jerry Josken, Senior Consultant, Pike Engineering
Jerry holds a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology from the Milwaukee School of Engineering and a MBA from North Central College. During his 30+ year career with Eaton’s Cooper Power Systems Jerry served in a variety of engineering capacities. Past leadership positions include Chair of IEEE Rural Electric Power Conference (2012) and GLEMS Distribution Equipment /Controls (2013-2014). Presently, Jerry coordinates Pike Engineering Professional Development Programs.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: Confirmed speakers do not need to register and are encouraged to participate in all sessions of the event. If you are a speaker and have any questions please contact our offices at 1.303.770.8800
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
|Distribution Volt/VAR Management||US $ 995.00|
I want to purchase unlimited connections for my company to use See details
|Unlimited Connections package||US $ 4975.00|
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before April 10, 2020 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800