If this course is of interest you may also be interested in FERC Accounting 101, May 10 in Houston
This training was designed primarily for non‐accountants in the energy and utility field. We will break down key accounting concepts that are unique to the energy and utility field. The goal is for participants to have a better understanding of the accounting function and how their role fits into the accounting function.
- Explain the fundamental differences of utility accounting from other corporate entities
- Discuss the basic accounting and financial principles and terminology of a utility
- Examine financial statements and notes
- Describe a uniform system of accounts
- Identify where to correctly post expenses
- Review revenue process from meter reading to collection of accounts receivable
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 0.7 CEUs for this event.
This program will use PowerPoint Presentations, group discussions, as well as active participation.
Requirements for a Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. :: Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. :: Group Luncheon
Understanding what makes utilities different from other corporate entities
- Many different reporting standards and discussion of those standards
- Uniform System of Accounts
- Gain an understanding of CFR Part 101 and 201
- Heavy control focus – discussion of controls and when and where they must occur
- COSO Framework
- How to apply an effective control structure
- Rate regulated
- Discussion of rates, how they are set (recovery of “prudent” costs) and how certain revenues and expenses can be deferred into future periods
- Rate structure in a monopoly marketplace
- Cost of service and rate design
- Overview of the revenue process from meter reading to collection of accounts receivable
- Overview of the inventory process
- Gain an understanding of financial statements
- Gain an understanding of the notes to financial statements
Overview of the disbursement (expense) process
- Posting of expenses – where expenses are posted matters!!
Julie Desimone, Partner, National Practice Leader, Energy & Utilities, Moss Adams, LLP
Julie is the leader of the firm’s Energy & Utilities Practice and has been providing auditing, accounting, and consulting services since 2000. She serves clients in the energy and utility industry, including enterprise funds of governments. Some of her specific areas of focus include: advanced utility accounting, regulatory assets and liabilities, technical auditing (including A-133 single audits), contracting, internal control evaluation, litigation support, and relationship management.
Julie currently serves on the firm’s training and development committee, audit task force, and recruiting program. She is also a regular speaker on technical and operational issues related to the energy and utility industry.
Hyatt Regency Houston
1200 Louisiana St
Houston, TX 77002
To reserve your room, please call 1-713-654-1234
Please indicate that you are with the EUCI group to receive the group rate.
The room rate is $189.00 single or double plus applicable taxes.
Room Block Dates:
A room block has been reserved for the nights of May 8 – 9, 2018.
Rate Available Until:
Make your reservations prior to April 8, 2018. There are a limited number of rooms available at the conference rate. Please make your reservations early.
Please Note: Confirmed speakers do not need to register and are encouraged to participate in all sessions of the event. If you are a speaker and have any questions please contact our offices at 1.303.770.8800
|Event||Early Bird Before |
Friday, April 20, 2018
|Utility Accounting 101||US $ 895.00||US $ 995.00|
This event has the following related events:
|FERC Accounting 101||US $ 895.00||US $ 995.00|
Take advantage of these discounts!
- Attend the Course and FERC Accounting 101 and pay US $ 1,695.00 per attendee (save US $ 95.00 each)
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before April 06, 2018 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800