Pipelines 101 – Basic Principles of Onshore Pipelines
February 16, 2021 | Online :: Central Time
“Jim and Ash hit each topic perfectly so that we could get a broad overview of pipelines. They were very knowledgeable and made it easy for anyone to understand. This is a wonderful introduction to pipelines!” Project Controller, TC Energy
This course will concentrate on natural gas and petroleum pipelines, cover the history of pipelines, review pertinent definitions and terminology, and explain how pipelines are designed and how they operate. This course is intended primarily for those individuals that may have a limited knowledge or experience with pipelines. It will provide a better understanding of how pipelines are constructed, how they are operated and maintained, and the applicable safety and regulatory requirements. This course is especially beneficial for anyone involved in land development, marketing, engineering, or insurance. It’s also of value for various local government agencies to help with zoning and location issues.
This course will provide you with a better understanding of pipelines, a good working knowledge of the language used in the pipeline industry, and an understanding of where to go to obtain assistance from the various government agencies that conduct pipeline safety oversite.
- Compare the major differences in the types of pipelines
- Verbalize the vernacular related to pipeline terms of design, construction and operation
- Summarize how pipelines work
- Describe the route selection process
- Articulate the right of way acquisition process
- Recognize the types of pipeline equipment
- Explain the types of pipeline facilities
- Review the requirements for proper maintenance activities
- Discuss safety practices that need to be put in place
- Describe SCADA
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major codes and standards as well as pipeline regulatory agencies
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 0.7 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
PowerPoint presentations and discussion will be used in this course.
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. :: Log In and Welcome
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:30 – 1:15 p.m. :: Lunch Break
Introduction of Agenda
History of Pipelines
Design of Pipelines
- Design factors and class locations
- Pipeline sizing
- Road and water body crossings
- Route selection and route survey
- Traditional and emerging methods
- Right-of-way/easement negotiations
- Pipeline construction (Pictorial Display)
- Other pre-construction actions
Operations and Maintenance Activities
- Cathodic protection (natural gas and liquid)
- Odorization (natural gas)
- Leak survey (natural gas)
- Patrolling (natural gas and liquid)
- Continuing surveillance (natural gas)
- Line markers and signs (natural gas and liquids)
- Pump stations (liquid)
- Compressor stations (natural gas)
- Regulator stations (natural gas)
- Valve maintenance (natural gas and liquid)
- Fences and station security (natural gas and liquid)
- Pipeline pigging (natural gas and liquid)
- Breakout tanks
Forms of Government Oversite
- Environmental permitting
- US Army Corps of Engineers
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Migratory Bird Treaty Act
- National Historic Preservation Act – Section 106 compliance
- Pipelines on Tribal lands
- Federal land management agencies (BLM, USFS, BOR)
- NEPA compliance
- State regulations
Course Questions and Adjournment
Keith Coyle, Attorney, Babst Calland
Keith Coyle is a member of the Firm’s Washington, D.C. office and a shareholder in the Energy and Natural Resources, Environmental and Transportation Safety groups and Pipeline and HazMat Safety practice. Mr. Coyle advises clients throughout the United States on energy matters, but his practice focuses primarily on the regulation of pipelines and liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities and the transportation of hazardous materials. He has significant experience working on these issues for clients in the private sector, as a former government attorney, and through his participation in industry task forces and trade organizations.
Ash Titzer, Director of Midstream, CountryMark Refining and Logistics, LLC
Ash has been in the pipeline industry for over 15 years and currently holds the position of Director of Midstream at CountryMark Refining and Logistics. In his role, Ash leads a workforce with responsibility of operating and maintaining CountryMark’s crude oil pipeline and trucking operations, refined product pipeline systems including their Products Terminals and Ohio River based dock facility. Ash also has oversight responsibility for CountryMark’s Regulatory Compliance and both Process and Personal Safety departments supporting all of the downstream and midstream operations throughout Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky.
Before joining CountryMark in 2014, Ash spent 10+ years in pipeline maintenance and project management working at Enterprise Products for 6+ years and as a contractor for several other pipeline operators in the Midwest. Ash holds degrees in both Construction Management and Electronics/Instrumentation Technology, which have provided an innovative approach to his leadership and process design styles. He is currently pursuing a third degree in Engineering Management Technology with a focus in Electrical Engineering. His education and professional experiences have allowed him to develop proficiencies in transportation and environmental regulation, safety management systems, process control, SCADA/HMI development, liquid measurement, and emergency response management. His professional experiences have also provided an opportunity to work on many exciting projects across the United States including several located in the Eagle Ford, Niobrara, Marcellus, and Utica shale play areas.
Ash also represents CountryMark in several industry trade organizations including roles as a Principal Representative with the Association of Oil Pipelines (AOPL) and a Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Member for the American Fuels & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM).
Our courses are designed to be the best possible use of your valuable time – get the information you need to improve your position in the market in an interactive, dynamic format.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all registrants for three business days after the event