Fundamentals of Transmission Line Design
January 14-15, 2021 | Online :: Central Time
This one-and-a-half-day course is designed to provide an introduction to transmission line concepts, definitions, and common design practices while infusing the technical tools needed to perform the work with the design concepts (PLS CADD Suite, MFAD, etc.) The first day will cover an introduction to transmission lines, electrical characteristics of lines, routing and structure spotting, conductor, hardware, and material information, and structure loading. The second day will pertain to electrical clearances, code requirements, structure spotting (ruling span vs. finite element), foundation design, and construction methods.
- Review what conductors are used in based on weather conditions, tensions, & electric loadings
- Discuss the basics of ruling span design and structure spotting techniques
- Review physical transmission line design and the software used to perform analysis
- Examine and identify all parts, pieces, hardware, etc. of a transmission line
- Discuss the basic concepts of transmission structure foundation design
- Identify the applicable codes and standards required to perform transmission line design
EUCI has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, EUCI has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, EUCI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
EUCI is authorized by IACET to offer 1.0 CEUs for this event.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Program
Participants must sign in/out each day and be in attendance for the entirety of the course to be eligible for continuing education credit.
PowerPoint presentations and open discussion
Thursday, January 14, 2021 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. :: Login and Welcome
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
12:00 – 12:30 p.m. :: Lunch Break
- What is a Transmission Line
- Conductors, Shield Wires, Communication Wires & Associated Hardware
- Structures & Foundations
- Electrical Characteristics & Grounding
- Code References
- National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Rural Utilities Service (RUS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Design Considerations
- Design Process
- PLS-CADD Software
- System Studies
- Routing Studies
- Right-of-Way Considerations
- Survey Acquisition
- Electrical Characteristics
- Sag Tension
- Conductor Selection
- Conductor Motion
- Types of Overhead Ground Wires
Structure Configuration & Structure Types
- Structure Types & Configurations
- Structure Materials
- Aesthetic Considerations
- Design Factors
Hardware & Assemblies
- Conductor Hardware
- OPGW Hardware
- Shield Wire Hardware
- Grounding Considerations
Friday, January 15, 2021 : Central Time
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. :: Login and Welcome
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. :: Course Timing
Electrical Clearances & Mechanical Loading
- Design Criteria
- Weather & Load Cases
- Types of Transmission Structure Foundation Design
- Software Used
Construction Methods & Design Considerations
- Modifications to Existing Lines
- Foundation Installation
- Structure Setting & Placement
Sarah Simpson, Senior Transmission Line Engineer, Burns & McDonnell
Sarah is a structural engineer who specializes in transmission line design. She started with Burns & McDonnell in 2011 after receiving her undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Iowa State University. Currently, Sarah leads transmission projects for Midwest electric utility clients. She has experience with PLS-CADD modeling, structure design, foundation design and hardware packages for voltages ranging from 69kV to 345kV. Sarah is a registered Professional Engineer and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in business administration at the University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management.
We will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate your participation in the upcoming event. You do not need to have an existing Teams account in order to participate in the broadcast – the course will play in your browser and you will have the option of using a microphone to speak with the room and ask questions, or type any questions in via the chat window and our on-site representative will relay your question to the instructor.
- You will receive a meeting invitation will include a link to join the meeting.
- Separate meeting invitations will be sent for the morning and afternoon sessions of the course.
- You will need to join the appropriate meeting at the appropriate time.
- If you are using a microphone, please ensure that it is muted until such time as you need to ask a question.
- The remote meeting connection will be open approximately 30 minutes before the start of the course. We encourage you to connect as early as possible in case you experience any unforeseen problems.
Please Note: This event is being conducted entirely online. All attendees will connect and attend from their computer, one connection per purchase. For details please see our FAQ
If you are unable to attend at the scheduled date and time, we make recordings available to all registrants for three business days after the event
|Single Connection - Transmission Line Design||US $ 1195.00|
|Pack of 5 connections||US $ 4,780.00|
|Pack of 10 Connections||US $ 8,365.00|
|Pack of 20 Connections||US $ 14,340.00|
|Call us at 303.770.8800 if you have any specific questions on the volume discounts|
|* all other discounts do not apply to license packs|
Your registration may be transferred to a member of your organization up to 24 hours in advance of the event. Cancellations must be received on or before December 11, 2020 in order to be refunded and will be subject to a US $195.00 processing fee per registrant. No refunds will be made after this date. Cancellations received after this date will create a credit of the tuition (less processing fee) good toward any other EUCI event. This credit will be good for six months from the cancellation date. In the event of non-attendance, all registration fees will be forfeited. In case of conference cancellation, EUCIs liability is limited to refund of the event registration fee only. For more information regarding administrative policies, such as complaints and refunds, please contact our offices at 303-770-8800